Sunday, June 24, 2012

New York, New York-Part 1

Tim and I just returned from a quick trip to New York. As a designer and art consultant, it is absolutely necessary for me to visit the city at least a couple of times a year. The inspiration that I get from being there is just incredible! I leave exhausted yet invigorated, a weird combination that is akin to the love/hate relationship that many that live (or like us, lived-past tense) in the city feel constantly.

I spent lots of time shopping, both for specific projects and just because I needed to be in shops to keep my finger on the design world pulse.

Shopping trips to New York are hard to navigate since the list of great shops is endless. I primarily shop the West Village (the neighborhood where our apartment is) and the Upper East side. I always find really great pieces for clients (and for us, of course!). Here are three of my favorite resources that are within minutes from our apartment in the West Village.

LA MAISON SUPREME
614 Hudson Street between Jane and West 12th
www.lamaisonsupreme.com

LA MAISON SUPREME
617 Hudson Street between Jane and West 12th
www.lamaisonsupreme.com



Elle Decor magazine said, "Worthy gifts, linens, and new and antique Haviland china are the focus at La Maison Supreme."and HOW! The shop is choc-a-bloc with so many wonderful pieces--china, glassware, chandeliers, dinner napkins, bedding, vases, candles, soaps, etc, etc.

Here are a few favorite items that I spotted:

LOVE these orange and white dinner napkins and four are now in our house in Atlanta:


and I think the gold caning design tumblers are TRES chic. I am definitely presenting these to a client...


..to be paired with these water glasses in her dining room in Lafayette. I love the traditional gold bands with the more modern geometric design for a great juxtaposition of styles.


a set of circa 1940 Candle Light Limoges China caught my eye. La Maison Supreme has many pieces in this pattern.


La Maison Supreme has tons of ready made pillows-all of beautiful fabrics and trimmings. This one is now purchased and on its way to a Chicago client of mine.




ABINGDON 12
613 Hudson Street between Jane and West 12th

"Eclectic", "unexpected", "one of a kind", these are some of the terms visitors use to describe this West Village treasure tucked into a pre-Civil War townhouse on Hudson Street just off Abingdon Square. 

above are words from Abingdon 12's website. I've visited this jewel of a shop for years now and am so glad to see that Alabama native Paul Caddell's curatorial brilliance is getting noticed. You never know what you might find when you pop in. Whatever it is will be interesting and very good, I assure you.

Lonny Magazine recently featured Abingdon 12 in a great article. Here is the opening page:


and one rainy day last week I found these items that I can't stop thinking about..

Swedish metal candle holders-$ 50/pair


This 1950's double lamp with embossed rattan design shades would be great used so many places but particularly good for a bedside table between twin beds or on a console table in an entry or den. $ 150.


I really "have a thing"right now for pieces with a combo of lucite and silver. I think these salad servers are fantastic! $ 85.


and this salad bowl is funky and fun. $ 60.



TEICH
22 Eight Avenue between Jane and West 12th
www.teichdesign.com

There once was a shop called Auto in the West Village that sold interesting items designed by and/or made by local artisans. Every December 20th or 21st, I would run into Auto and knock off my Christmas shopping list in about an hour flat. I was devastated when Auto closed three or four years ago. I no longer have to be devastated since the opening of TEICH right around the corner from our apartment! Representing local artisans of good design, Teich has items for men, women, kids, and home.

I am in a fun sock phase right now and this wall display of hook+Albert socks (www.hookandalbert.com) thrilled me...


....and these patterns came home with me. I see major design project inspiration in the striped patterns!


FYI, Nordstrom and Barney's Co-op both carry the hook+ALBERT line so those of you not going to New York can buy these great socks at Nordstrom and Barney's locations throughout the country.

The other big discovery at Teich is the line of bags by Ernest Alexander (www.ernestalexander.com).


Because I am always carrying around something related to projects, I need a bag at all times. Sometimes a big shopper, sometimes a messenger, and sometimes just something small to house my phone, pens, a note book, and a sample or two. The "Banker's Zip Folio" seems to be the perfect design to meet the latter requirements. Available in six colors (4 in a waxed canvas finish and 2 in leather), I am leaning towards the orange or brown waxed canvas:




For a true shopping bag, these Ernest Alexander designs are at the top of the list...





In addition to Teich in New York, the Ernest Alexander line is carried by Club Monaco throughout the country.


Also at Teich, I discovered the art of Kazuya Morimoto who does wonderful sketches (above and below) of the city.
From his website, I learned that Kazuya Morimoto is:

New York City based artist Kazuya Morimoto was born and raised in Japan and studied at the Art Factory with Makoto Arimichi. Shortly after graduation, Kazuya moved to New York City to study painting at the Art Students League. Since 2000, he has focused extensively on abstract painting. He was awarded several grants and scholarships and has had exhibitions and public art displayed in New York and Washington DC.
He traveled to Europe in 2006 and goes back every summer for independent study. Since then he has started to sketch and paint street scenes. He also created a printmaking series of imaginary city scapes based on his travels. Now, he can be seen all over Manhattan sketching and enjoying meeting people, drinking good coffee and thinking about his next trip or food.



Check out http://kazuya.carbonmade.com/ to see more Kazuya Morimoto pieces.

That's all for today! I'll be back in a couple of days with more exciting finds from the New York trip.
For more info on any of above items, feel free to contact me or the shops. 

Best,

JM





No comments: