Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weekend Getaway-Part 1--Antique Mall Shopping for Christmas Presents/Clients

Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation all decked out in Christmas lights

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We spent a couple of days with my family at the Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee in central Georgia. My parents have been several times but we had not. It is a gorgeous place. The hotel is as great as most Ritz Carlton's, the lake is beautiful and serene, and the location is perfect for an easy, relaxed getaway.

There is something for everyone here. Golf, tennis, kayaking, fishing, three great restaurants on the property, and a spa that is apparently one of the best in Georgia.


But this trip for us was about Thanksgiving and time with family. As dear friend Lue Svendson said about Thanksgiving, "it is the most honest holiday. No presents, no long preparations, no pretense. Just giving thanks and being together." I agree whole heartedly and that is exactly the kind of holiday we had. Dinner at the Georgia Grille in the hotel with dessert after at the house my parents rented for them (we stayed at the hotel!). It was a relaxed, easy, happy affair all around. One big excitement was the engagement of my nephew, Daniel, to the sweet Julie Holcomb! Daniel proposed (with a gorgeous ring I should add) on the Ritz Carlton grounds just before dinner. It was very sweet and as they are a wonderful couple, quite a special moment.

Here is my family post-dinner in front of the huge Christmas tree by the lake:

Tim, Jeffery, niece Ann, nephew Daniel, future niece-in-law Julie, brother Joey, Mom, Dad
On Friday, we explored the beautiful towns of Greensboro and Madison for a little holiday shopping. WOW! Both towns are about as charming as any I've ever seen and GREAT finds for Christmas gifts and client projects were everywhere. I couldn't believe how incredibly reasonable everything was. I scored some deals, was able to pick up a few gifts, and have lots of great items to present to clients. I found so much that I am breaking it up and doing two blog posts.

First up, here are a few of my favorite finds at Greensboro Antique Mall in Greensboro, GA, that would make excellent gifts for Christmas:


Mens Cufflinks--a great gift! These were $4/pair..yes, that's right, $4/pair! in the city they would be at least five times that price.



Vintage Blue Acrylic Ice Bucket or Wine Cooler--$6!!


I am having a love affair with brass candlesticks right now and think they make perfect presents. More on my favorite recent finds in next blog post. I like candlesticks that are handsome and architectural, not fussy and curlicued. These are just perfect. And at $ 39.95 for the pair, a great buy.

I love visiting antique malls during the holidays to find unique gifts for friends and clients. In addition to Greensboro Antique Mall, some of my favorites are:

GEORGIA:
14th Street Antiques Market in Atlanta; Peachtree Battle Antiques in Atlanta; Scott's Antique Market in Atlanta; The Stalls on Bennett Street in Atlanta; Interiors Market on Bennett Street in Atlanta; Oh Deco Where Art Thou in Lyons

LOUISIANA:
Lagniappe Antiques in Breaux Bridge

NEW YORK:
Center 44 in New York City

FLORIDA:
Antiques on Holiday in Destin

and the mother lode of them all, three antique malls/markets in gorgeous Madison, Georgia which will be tomorrow's post....

Enjoy this wonderful time of year between Thanksgiving and New Year's and remember, shop local which for me mean's anywhere privately owned!






No comments: