Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Kind of Beach Style.....Part 1


Everyone knows that I dream of owning a cottage in Provincetown, the place that is my little slice of Heaven. Everything about Provincetown fits me like a glove. Not only is it a charming village by the sea at the tip of Cape Cod, it has a booming art scene, great restaurants, theater of every variety, many friends vacation here, and it has been voted one of the most pet-friendly towns in America. Scruffy really appreciates this aspect of P-town!

I don't understand formal and prissy beach style which is often seen in more posh beach locales. The kind of beach cottage I imagine is a light and airy flip-flop strewn, sand between the toes, suntan oil friendly, lounge on any piece of furniture with no fear of messing it up kind of place. Last year I wrote about a house that was actually for sale that I could imagine what the days spent in and around it would be like. That place has since sold and there isn't anything on the market this year that completely fits the bill, even in a pretend money were no object way.

So I have accumulated a file of images that serve as inspiration for when the day comes that JPM & TSA (& Scruffy!)  have a place of our own to call home in our beloved Provincetown. And I've selected art from some of my favorite artists from back home (Georgia & Louisiana) and from the many galleries of Provincetown, Wellfleet, and Chatham. This is part one where I've imagined a three room cottage---a large room that is equal parts living/dining/workspace/kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom. Enjoy! 

I love the all-white walls and beamed ceiling in this laid-back beach cottage. Painted brick is one of my favorite things and hydrangea from the garden are a must in Provincetown. 

image from Coastal Living.com


I would love those chairs upholstered in Sister Parish Design's "Albert" pattern in blue and white.

"Albert" fabric from Sister Parish Design
www.sisterparishdesign.com

And rather than have a mirror over the mantel, I think I would prefer an Arthur Cohen painting from Munson Gallery in Chatham OR Cortile Gallery in Provincetown...remember this is fantasy so price is no object!

option A:
 


Arthur Cohen
Hazy Day 
Oil on canvas
30 x 40
$7,500.
from The Munson Gallery, Chatham, MA


option B:

Arthur Cohen
Provincetown Harbor
Oil on Canvas
30" x 40"
$ 8,000.
from Cortile Gallery, Provincetown, MA

I absolutely love this beach cottage that was featured in Country Living magazine a couple of months ago. It is the Hamptons cottage of the owners of English Country Antiques. The vibe is so what I could get behind in our own getaway place.

image from Country Living
to see the whole story on this house, click http://www.countryliving.com/homes/house-tours/home-built-from-a-ship#slide-1

Between the windows I would hang a trio of small pieces. 

Joseph Salerno
Late Shadows Under the Pier
6" x 9"
$ 500.
from Julie Heller Gallery, Provincetown


Lue Svendson
Along the Bay Shore
Oil on Panel
11" x 14"
$ 675.
from Lounge Gallery, Lafayette, LA



Candace Greer
Salty Seawater Sketch
Mixed Media on Wood
8" x 8"
$ 150.00
from VIEW Gallery, Ridgeland, MS


Everything about the dining area of this Fire Island getaway of Alex Bates, creative director of West Elm, is perfection--no window treatments, painted floor, mix of old and new.


Fire Island cottage featured in Country Living-to read story on this house, click here

and for the kitchen "corner" of my dream room, this image via the blog of Bear Hill Interiors perfectly captures the vibe I imagine. 




I am a complete purist when it comes to bathrooms. White cabinetry, chrome or nickel finishes, and white countertops are all I will consider. This bathroom of a Tybee Island, Georgia, beach house by Savannah firm Rethink Design  Studio is perfect! 




image via Houzz.com and www.rethinkdesignstudio.com

I would hang a grouping of pieces in the bathroom including:

Hannah Bureau
Jetty
Mixed Media on Panel
12" x 12"
$ 800.
from Julie Heller Gallery, Provincetown

Kelli Kaufman
Blue Tide
Oil/Wax on Panel
16" x 16"
$ 375.
from VIEW Gallery, Ridgeland, MS


Stephen Coyle
Beach Umbrella
Alkyd on Panel
16 x 12 inches
$2,600
from William Scott Gallery, Provincetown



aaaah, HEAVEN! all white with touches of blue, so laid back, the view, everything is dreamy.




I imagine just three great pieces that complement the view rather than take away from it and continue the sense of peace that this space exudes.

On one side of the bed in the little alcove, this John Mulcahy piece would be perfect:

John Mulcahy
View Toward Provincetown
Oil on Canvas
16" x 17"
$ 1,550.
from Kiley Court Gallery, Provincetown, MA

and on the opposite side of the bed a piece by Provincetown artist Laurence Young:

Laurence Young
Breaking Day
Oil/Wax on Canvas
16" x 20"
$ 1,800.
from Rue du Pont Galerie, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

and to put the exclamation point on the whole cottage:on the big wall at end of the room where the photographer is standing, I think it has to be this piece by New Orleans artist Mallory Page:

Mallory Page
The First One-Summertime Blues
Mixed Media on Wood
42" x 42"
$ 3,200.
from Tracery, Mountain Brook, AL







No comments: